Fluidose® Series 6 Unit Dose Packaging System
MPI’s Fluidose® Series 6 Unit Dose Packaging System with built-in syringe pump mechanism is an automated, barcoding packaging solution for unit dose oral liquid medication. This solution assists the pharmacy in decreasing packaging costs, increasing operational efficiency, and reducing medication errors.
Composition, Conformity, and Stability
MPI’s Fluidose Series 6 packaging system is manufactured to adhere to strict technical guidelines to assure optimum performance of the packaging equipment and safe packaging of oral liquid medication, and it adheres to strict quality control procedures throughout the manufacturing process. The Fluidose Series 6 packaging system is certified UL compliant.
The MPI-certified consumable materials used in conjunction with MPI’s Fluidose Series 6 packaging system were developed exclusively for use in MPI’s Fluidose Series 6 and were extensively tested to assure there is no degradation to the medication during the packaging process.
Multi-layered composition of the consumable materials, combined with our controlled sealing process and dwell time, assures that a safe, sealed, tamper-proof unit dose package is created each time, and it is easy to open when it is time to administer the medication, with no degradation to the oral liquid medication. MPI’s proprietary printer design, incorporated into the Fluidose Series 6 packaging system, was developed to work exclusively with MPI’s consumable materials to provide a clear, legible print of all medication information including a scannable barcode.
The processes by which these consumable materials are manufactured, and the products that are used to create the materials, are FDA registered for use in drug packaging, and as such, they meet the USP standards for Class A medication packaging. In accordance with the guidelines set forth by the U.S. Pharmacopeia (USP), a one-year-beyond-use date (BUD) can be affixed to the repackaged product, or the remaining expiration date of the product, whichever is shorter. MPI has developed consumable materials that meet the Class A requirements set forth by USP for moisture permeation and light transmission.
- Produces up to twenty-two (22) doses per minute dependent on fill and viscosity of oral liquid medication
- Utilizes standard latex-free, BD Luer-Lok type syringes, FDA-grade disposable tubing sets, high-barrier lidding, and high-density polyethylene (HDPE) cups.
- Class A packaging. Packages in four (4) different cup sizes (7ml, 15ml, 25ml, 35ml). A variety of different color FLUIDOSE-UDCUP® selections are available in stock to enable color coding of controlled or refrigerated medications, including, blue, red, yellow, and amber cups. Custom colors available.
- Complies with The Joint Commission regulations for dispensing oral liquid medication
- Includes MPI’s exclusive Pak-EDGE™ UD Barcode Labeling Software
Size: 32″ L x 14″ W x 18″ H
Weight: 105 lbs.
Power: 115VAC, 50/60Hz, 400VA or 230VAC, 50/60Hz, 400VA
Sealing Temp: 220° C
Safety: CE, NRTL (MET) US, C Marks. Includes clear protective guard and safety interlock switch
Hardware Requirements: Computer with Windows® 10 or higher operating system, 10 GB hard drive space, 8 GB RAM, available USB ports, desktop or network printer for reports, Internet access.
Optional Hardware: 2D Barcode scanner, to scan bulk container.
Software Requirements: Pak-EDGE™ UD Barcode Labeling Software (provided with packaging system) with optional access to First DataBank drug data, imprints and images database. FDB trial included for new users.
Material Requirements: Requires the use of MPI authorized disposable materials.
Space Requirements: Sturdy and level countertop, height between 28″ – 36″ for comfortable working conditions. Clearance above the counter should be 18″ – 24″. Minimum depth of 24″ with 4′ – 5′ minimum counter space in length. The Fluidose Series 6 requires one (1) 120V outlets and should be located as close as possible to a sink. Allow additional room and electrical outlets for your computer.
Barcodes Supported: All linear, 2D, and GS1 barcodes are supported
- 7” color touchscreen with controls that provide easy navigation and access to fully-customizable pump settings for managing packaging operations including volume, seal temperature, and limits, draw and dispense rates, and pump and index dwells.
- Pumping parameters such as volume and rates for individual product are stored within Pak-EDGE™ UD Barcode Labeling Software and transmitted to the packaging system.
- No tools required to switch between cup sizes.
- Powers on with defaults configured and ready for operation
- Automatic low fluid detection. Machines pauses packaging when fluid level reaches preset limit.
- Disposable FDA-grade tubing
- Tufram® seal head
- New sensors to detect cup drops, cupfill sensors and for correct setup configuration
- Scale power port – separate power outlet not required for use of scale
- Includes latest technology and functionality
- Barcode Verifier Option: The optional barcode verifier automatically scans each package as a final check after the packaging of the unit dose container is completed to assure that the barcode can be accurately scanned at the bedside. If an unreadable barcode is detected, the system will pause to allow the user to retry or remove the package from production.
The final unit dose package containing the oral liquid medication is comprised of a Fluidose-UDCUP and Fluidose-LIDDING. The Fluidose-UDCUP conforms to FDA regulations for use in direct food contact, providing for contact surfaces which are not reactive, additive, or absorptive. The cups do not contain DEHP, DBP, or BBP. The Fluidose-LIDDING® is comprised of multiple layers, including the sealant layer, which is the contact surface, aluminum foil, which acts as the moisture barrier, and the outermost layer, which provides the printing surface. All layers adhere to applicable FDA regulations for direct and indirect food contact and surface lubricants used in the manufacture of metallic articles.
Thermal transfer printing technology, proprietary to MPI’s Fluidose Series 6 packaging system, is utilized to print barcode and medication information directly on the Fluidose-LIDDING® to assist in error prevention and compliance for repackaging of medication. The Fluidose-LIDDING is comprised of smudge-free and fade-resistant materials that allow for easy scanning of the barcode and medication information contained on the unit dose package.
Fluidose-UDCUPS are offered in four different cup sizes, 7 mL, 15 mL, 25 mL and 35 mL, in a variety of colors for identification of controlled medications or for use in color coding medications by expiration dates. The combination of the quality print and MPI-certified materials, assure that no degradation to the contents and that all medication will be adequately protected from external environment effects such as light or moisture and a that a clear, legible, fully-sealed unit dose packaging is produced every time.
Medication Barcoding and Labeling
The unit dose packages created by MPI’s packaging systems and Pak-EDGE™ UD Barcode Labeling Software are capable of accommodating all linear, 2D, and GS1 barcodes. The software used to generate these barcodes was developed exclusively by MPI and is continually upgraded to include the latest advances in barcode technology for pharmaceutical packaging. The software allows for unlimited number of barcode configurations, which typically include product NDC code, local expiration date, and date packaged. In the event of a product recall, MPI’s Pak-EDGE™ software can easily trace the packaged product so the pharmacist can take immediate corrective action to remove the product from inventory.
Benefits of Implementation
The combination of packaging oral liquid mediation with MPI’s Fluidose Series 6 packaging system and our exclusive MPI-certified consumable materials coupled with the advanced barcoding capabilities and configurations available in MPI’s Pak-EDGE™ software, provide our customers with the continued confidence that each unit dose package will be produced in adherence to industry guidelines for light, moisture and sealing, and a safe, tamper-proof unit dose package containing detailed medication and barcode medication will be delivered to the bedside each and every time, ensuring patient safety.
MPI continually stays abreast of changes in packaging technology, standards and guidelines and employs the highest standards of excellence to develop and deliver high quality, reliable products including the most current features and functionality that contribute to saving patient lives through error-free medication packaging.
MPI’s Fluidose Series 6 Unit Dose Packaging System for oral liquids assists the pharmacy by:
- Decreasing Costs
- Automatic packaging of bulk liquid medication into unit dose is more cost effective than buying products pre-packaged from the manufacturer.
- Minimal cost per dose (CPD)
- Increasing Efficiency
- Produces up to twenty-two (22) doses per minute depending on fill rate and viscosity of oral liquid medication
- Available in four different sizes (7ml, 15ml, 25ml, and 35ml); in-stock inventory of a variety of colored cups to assist in color coding of controlled medications.
- Reducing and Eliminating Errors
- Barcode Scan Check: Scanning bulk bottle before packaging verifies proper drug.
- Barcode Capability: Supports linear, 2D and GS1 barcodes
- Tall-Man Lettering: Helps reduce “looks alike, sounds alike” errors
One year limited warranty included. Extended warranty and preventative maintenance agreements are available.